How you can operate an employee vehicle safely
If you are one of the many members of the Minnesota workforce who operate an employee vehicle as part of your job, you may be well aware of the importance of abiding by a superior standard of conduct. More importantly than maintaining your reputation as a respectful employee of your employer, your efforts to follow the rules of the road and drive safely can better protect yourself and other drivers on the road. At Fellman Law Office, we are familiar with the unique risks faced by workers who are trusted with company vehicles.
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, there are several precautions you can take in an effort to protect your safety, your reputation and your job while operating a company vehicle. These include the following:
- Make sure you have had an appropriate amount of sleep.
- Utilize route planning software, and prepare a realistic and efficient route each day to reduce stress, confusion and distraction while on the road.
- Remain fully focused and alert, and constantly scan your surroundings to identify potential risks and dangers.
- Be sure to take breaks and allow yourself time to take care of personal needs and stretch.
- Always buckle your seatbelt.
- Treat other drivers with courtesy and patience. Being quick to anger can affect your reputation, pose a threat to you and other drivers and even compromise your job.
Following these tips will enable you to confidently operate an employee vehicle without risking your safety and employment. For more information about workplace accidents, visit our web page.