While there are some types of safety risks that may be present in any type of job environment, certain professions continue to be more dangerous than others. If you operate in the construction industry, you may encounter a variety of potential hazards each day on Minnesota construction project sites.
Any type of construction accident could pose a significant threat to your health and leave you facing a long road to recovery. While knowing some of the most prevalent causes of such incidents could help you take steps to protect your well-being, sometimes there might not be anything you can do to keep a potential disaster at bay.
While the types of safety hazards you might encounter on a construction site may vary with each project, some of the most prevalent causes of construction accidents may include:
- Falls from heights: Studies indicate that falls from heights continue to be a leading cause of injuries in the construction industry. Even falls from lesser distances can carry dire health repercussions.
- Slips, trips and falls: Slip, trip and fall accidents are also a prevalent concern. Cluttered pathways and debris are just two examples of hazards that might increase the risks of such incidents.
- Equipment-related incidents: Struck-by and caught-between accidents are two more examples of common safety concerns in this industry. Incidents involving heavy-duty machines can prove disastrous in nature.
- Electrocutions and burns: Construction projects may also task you with operating with or around active power lines and combustible materials. This may lead to a greater risk of burn or electrocution injuries.
- Overexertion: As this can also be a physically demanding field, the risk of overexertion may be ever present. Overexertion injuries can take on many forms and can have a significant impact on your life.
Exposure to hazardous chemicals and substances could also be an issue on many project sites, especially if you are tasked with demolishing older structures and materials.
Suffering injuries in a construction accident
Construction accidents can occur under a multitude of scenarios, each of which could take a dire toll on your health and well-being. While suffering injuries in such an incident can be harrowing enough as is, the financial hardships that may accompany the incident can also be challenging to manage. Following the incident, it might be in your best interests to seek advice on all your available options for financial aid and in preparing to navigate every stage of the workers’ compensation insurance claims process.